I just got back to work after feeling crummy of sickness. I hate being ill. Not only because I tend to go on a seemingly “I want my mommy, I’m useless, my life is ending” hormonal type of brat fit, but also because I hate being unproductive. I’ve been in and out of flu the past few months and I worry too much about work. I try not to call in sick, unless I’m really in that stage where everything’s feels like it’s going against all odds.
Part of the dilemma is knowing you’re not 100%, and even if you try to be star employee (because hard work brings good bacon to the yard) your work won’t be up to par. Another part is having to do handovers – your colleagues may be intelligent and fully capable but you’re quite territorial with your stuff and you have that “it’s better if I do it myself” mentality. The worse part, I suppose, is spreading your germs in the office, causing a mass exodus of sick peers in days to follow.
“If you’re sick, you’re sick.” I get that, and I’m not going to apologise for my body failing me. So why this creepy nagging sense of guilt? Possibly me judging me. Tsk, tsk. Possibly cos most of the time when I wake up from a deep, resting sleep, my brain goes on overdrive. Do you ever feel the same?
10 THOUGHTS FROM MY SICKBED (aka the return of Ryan Gosling GIFs*)
1. Damn those people on my daily commute who cough or yawn or sneeze outright without covering their mouths. The world doesn’t need any more of your nasty bacteria, thanks.
2. I’m working on a dream project and I am bordering obsessed about making everything perfect. It’s like… pitching your ass off to get that super client. When you finally hear the resounding YES, you want to make sure they remember your work for all the right reasons and that they love you enough to keep you on retainer. I really want to smash this, guys and I’m pulling all tricks to make it my best ever work, so I really can’t afford to be sick all the time!
3. No, Ryan. That is not bothering me.
4. With the sick bug comes the shop bug. When you’re bed-bound and feeling sorry for yourself, sometimes all you do is sleep… and then you wake up thinking new things you don’t really need might just cheer you up. I hate online shopping for the hassle of returning stuff (which is exactly what I did to six items I bought from the sick bed last month) but when I’m ill and bored at home, my laptop seems to open windows that make “just window shopping” hard. That said, I’m rather happy with my new yummy bag which I think is the perfect size for casual travels.
5. Unlike last year, I’m not as fussed about trying new restaurants in the first month.My London Restaurant bucket list is still a mile long, but lately, I seem to gravitate towards places I’ve already tried and tested. Of course, I’m still absolutely curious and raring to try new spots but unless the restaurant is highly recommended (and totally worth the hype), I’m okay with not being first in line. The essence of being a food blogger isn’t really a race of who brings out the first reviews anyway, no? It’s all about being true to your opinions, being open to trying new things and respecting nature’s gifts on your plate. That said… have you come across new joints I should check out?
6. I could really do with a decent night out. I think my dancing shoes need to come out and play soon.
7. Must. Start. Getting. My. Fitness. On. And it’s not just for that impossible bikini body, but because I. Hate. Being. Ill!
8. My cousin and his wife called me from the Maldives earlier and whilst I am truly happy for them in their gorgeous villa by the clear blue waters, I can’t can’t can’t help but feel a bit jealous that I’m not digging my toes in the sand as well, sipping cocktails-all-you-can and watching little fish and baby sharks float about. Roll on holiday!
9. I’ve been Netflix-and-chillin’ a lot whilst I was sick. I’m glad I’ve finally caught up with How to Get Away with Murder (Viola Davis FTW!) even though the 3rd season isn’t up yet. Riverdale is darkly delicious. I grew up reading Archie Comics, so when I found out there’s a new TV series about it, I went nuts. At first I was a bit surprised with some of their character choices and changes (especially Miss Grundy being 40 years younger… and screwing her students, WTF!) but 3 episodes down, I’m still curious. Any Netflix gems you guys recommend?
10. I don’t really have a proper thought but I feel better already. Just like before, a little rant and Ryan saves the day. Always. This is really just an excuse to post the last GIF. (You’re welcome.)
Stay healthy, folks! x
*GIFs from Giphy.com