Amsterdam Eats: Serre, Hotel Okura

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShoreAmsterdam’s Hotel Okura is home to some Michelin-starred restaurants including Ciel Bleu on the 23rd floor (which has the most amazing views of the city), Yamazato (kaiseki), and Sazanka (teppanyaki). However, it’s their Bib Gourmand awardee, Serre, that really captured my curiosity.

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShoreThis informal fine-dining venue is located on the ground floor of the hotel, and there’s an al fresco area outside where punters can dine and stay whilst overlooking the river Amstel. It’s a no-fuss place where you can bring clients, family and friends for a sophisticated but chill type of time. It’s all just “very Amsterdam”.

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShoreThe menu is inspired by Ciel Bleu’s two-starred menu, with a nod to seasonal produce.

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShoreIt’s a little bit of fine-dining without overly wanting to be, and a little bit of casual dining without disrespecting quality and service.

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShoreThe steak tartare starter is served at your table, something I’ve always adored and hoped for this dish. Simply because if I’m having chopped raw beef, I’d like to know what’s in it, too.

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShoreThe end result fared well with just enough herbs and a good load of Tabasco. The beef itself was of good quality, and went through the night with none of that ridiculously carnivorous after taste.

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShoreThe mackerel salad may have looked uninspiring…

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShoreBut the taste was absolutely delicious. I think I now have a newfound respect for the versatility of this fish. I used to hate it but recently found it a very interesting choice for chefs. It’s wonderfully divine when cooked properly!

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShoreNow, I’m quite a bouillabaisse snob, simply because I’ve been eating this since my childhood. I love a good depth of shellfish in my bisque and a glorious texture of seafood in my bowl. Oh, and a really punchy aioli to top it with.

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShoreSerre’s bouillabaisse is a delightful bowl of fruits de mer, which I would have any given day…

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next Shore…and the bisque, although thinner than I would have wanted, was quite yummy too. The only thing that let me down was the aioli – I thought it didn’t bring that vibrant, garlicky depth that I was hoping for.

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShorePesto parpadelle with prawns was also quite nice, although frankly, I didn’t think they needed radishes in there.

My dessert was a concoction of poached pear and apples and vanilla ice cream. Simple, but good enough. Although not as mind-blowing as it could have been.

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next ShoreOne thing I liked about Serre is that the post-dinner coffee comes in some sort of bento box with post-meal biccies, petit fours and water. Thoughtful.

Verdict for Serre

I liked the atmosphere at Serre because, unlike its sister Ciel Bleu, it’s more relaxed and grounded (pun intended). Views of the Amstel are quite stunning, particularly because it’s closer to the quieter part of town and far away from the busyness of the canals. Food is inspired by the Michelin-starred sister on the 23rd floor, but it’s more straightforward and less complicated. Definitely well-deserved Bib Gourmand.

I think it’s a nice place to go with friends and family when you’re out in the Dam.

3.5/5

Serre
Ferdinand Bolstraat 333, 1072 LH Amsterdam, Netherlands
Ave spend pp: €60

Serre Restaurant Amsterdam by The Girl Next Shore

You can follow new posts on The Girl Next Shore via Twitter and Instagram and Pepo and Facebook or by subscribing on Bloglovin. Have fun!

34 Comments

1. Alisa Infanti
    14th December 2017 / 10:02 pm

That coffee bento box is so cute! Love it!

• Honey de Gracia
      Author
      15th December 2017 / 9:52 am

Haha, isn’t it just?

2. Soonjoo
    14th December 2017 / 10:12 pm

I’ve never been to Amsterdam but it’s on our bucketlist next year. We are big foodie and love to explore yummy restaurant! Great recommendation.

• Honey
      Author
      18th December 2017 / 10:32 pm

Also try the Foodhallen! It’s very interesting with lots of food stalls!

3. 15th December 2017 / 1:18 am

I would love to visit this restaurant and dine while overlooking the river Amstel. Sounds so cool!

• Honey de Gracia
      Author
      15th December 2017 / 9:53 am

Hope you get to do it, too! x

4. 15th December 2017 / 2:40 am

Well the food looked interesting. I have never tried “raw” meat, and probably never will. Experiencing food in other countries is a fun experience for sure.

• Honey de Gracia
      Author
      15th December 2017 / 9:52 am

Ahaha I love discovering different cultures through food!

5. 15th December 2017 / 3:39 am

Your shots are totally gorgeous! I’m veggie, but I’ve got to admit, I’m always curious about what people order when they’re not just constrained to one or two things on the menu!

• Honey de Gracia
      Author
      15th December 2017 / 9:40 am

Thanks Rhiannon! Although that steak tartare photo must’ve been dreadful for you! (I hope not!)

6. 15th December 2017 / 7:34 am

Wow, that hotel really has done well with all its restaurants to have them all recognised by Michelin in some capacity or other. Serre looks gorgeous, and I like that it’s a little more laid back but still excellent food!

• Honey de Gracia
      Author
      15th December 2017 / 9:39 am

Very good indeed, Kavey! It’s a nice hotel, and the views from Ciel Bleu were super impressive!

7. 15th December 2017 / 12:41 pm

It’s been a looong time, since I was in Amsterdam. I do feel, that I know it quite well though, since my former home, Copenhagen reminds me so much of Amsterdam 🙂 The food looks delicious! I too am completely in love with the coffee bento box 😀

Thinking about it, maybe I should treat Frenchie with a trip to Amsterdam for Christmas! It’s not too far away, so even with a big belly, I am sure I could manage (especially with all this deliciously looking food!)

X Louise

8. Allison hanson
    15th December 2017 / 2:02 pm

What a nice dinner, it looks like the chefs took great care with the ingredients!

9. 15th December 2017 / 2:26 pm

I love reading hotel and restaurant reviews and bookmark them for future references. This place looks great and since Amsterdam is in our bucket list for 2018, am bookmarking your post too 🙂

10. 15th December 2017 / 10:54 pm

I’m loving all the fish in these dishes, just my kind of venue:-)

11. 16th December 2017 / 2:12 am

I haven’t been to Amsterdam in ages, but now I can’t wait to go back. Such spectacular dishes!

12. 16th December 2017 / 12:29 pm

Food looks so yummy… The place looks really great to visit.

13. 16th December 2017 / 12:30 pm

We were thinking of visiting Amsterdam soon. This will be our first visited so I am happy about any good food recommendations. I do like the style of the hotel and the food menu sounds like something I would deeply enjoy. I am eye balling the steak tartar, it’s so difficult to find a well prepared steak tartar.

14. 16th December 2017 / 3:21 pm

Amsterdam is definitely a bucket list item for me. All the food looks so great!

15. 16th December 2017 / 3:22 pm

Ooh the food looks so yum! Definitely putting this on my list to visit when we take a trip to Amsterdam during Easter break!

16. 16th December 2017 / 6:43 pm

What a beautiful restaurant! I’m definitely not adventurous enough for steak tartare though. I know it’s really high quality, but I just can’t get past the fact that it’s raw meat…

17. 17th December 2017 / 1:32 am

I love a good bouillabaisse and your recommendation has me wanting to plan a trip to Amsterdam next! That’s an amazing number of Michelin awarded restaurants in one hotel!

18. 17th December 2017 / 1:41 am

I wish I had read this two weeks ago – I had friends in Amsterdam and would have loved to recommend this restaurant to them.

19. 17th December 2017 / 6:03 am

Amsterdam is on my bucket list and I would love to explore the local flavors there !

20. 17th December 2017 / 7:08 am

That coffee bento box looks right up my street! Added to my places to try when next in the dam x

21. 17th December 2017 / 11:45 am

Being a Dutchie I’ve been to Amsterdam a lot and love it. Never had dinner here though but will definitely give it a try next time. Love your pictures!

22. 17th December 2017 / 5:29 pm

I would definitely love to go here. I love all of the pictures of food here. They do look like they put together some amazing dishes.

23. 18th December 2017 / 6:32 am

All of the menu items look delicious! That beef tartare though has my heart! Yum!

24. 18th December 2017 / 5:07 pm

Mmmm, those salads look delicious! I’ve never been to Amsterdam (yet!), but I will have to be sure to eat here when I do! 🙂

25. 19th December 2017 / 8:58 am

Good to know, I’m looking at Amsterdam for next year!

26. 20th December 2017 / 11:40 am

I have lived in Amsterdam for two years and I couldn’t agree more with your suggestion, Honey. Your post made my mouth water. 🙂