but I’ve only developed an appreciation for makeup recently. A few years ago I had the most basic makeup kit (concealer, eyeliner and the odd shadow palette) for days when the straight-out-of-bed look is beyond unacceptable and the au naturelle face has to stay under a paper bag. But makeup was never really part of the shopping list – I only really bought and collected lipstick.
I did try over the years; I bought stuff, testing them at home aided by tutorials off the internet (those girls make it look so easy!) but only using them once or twice (or never) until they are forgotten beyond shelf life. So I never really bothered anymore until last year. I had my wisdom tooth taken out three days before a friend’s wedding and no amount of anti inflammatory drug could have toned the growing Mt Vesuvius on my face. My friend C suggested we curl my hair to hide the crazy bump on my cheek and to apply make-up for ‘shaping’ and ‘contouring’. Eh?! This sounds like liposuction!!!!! I was a bit lost but she waved her magic
wand brushes and a few minutes later my face looked so normal I couldn’t see the bump at all. There can be miracles when you have makeup indeed.
Here are my favourites of the basics.
1. Clinique Moisture Surge CC Cream in Light Medium –
I like that it’s technically a tinted moisturiser so it does more wonders than its cosmetic purposes. It gives light to medium coverage which I like because it doesn’t make my face look cakey. The texture is velvety smooth and it sets perfectly giving the skin a really even tone and a super warm glow!
2. Benefit Hello Flawless Powder Cover Up in What I Crave –
I only really use this powder for touch ups. That said, it’s does give a pretty good job especially when I’m off somewhere post work. It sets nicely and doesn’t really give you that cakey/espasol
3. Laura Mercier Moisture Supreme Foundation in Vanilla Beige
– This probably gives the most coverage of the three. The texture is thicker so it takes a bit more time to blend. I really love this colour and I love wearing this in the winter as it keeps my skin moisturised without making it oily!
4. Bobbi Brown Concealer Duo in Natural Tan and Pale Yellow
– my daytime concealer, which is one of the best concealers I’ve tried. The setting powder is a good cover up for creases too!
5. Bobbi Brown Corrector in Medium to Dark Bisque
– works as an excellent base for concealers and an excellent cover up for blemishes and lone spots!
6. MAC Pro-Longwear Concealer in NW25
– discovered this when I was running late into a meeting. Grabbed this off the nearest shop and became my other
daytime concealer, which I use when I’m rushing. I don’t have to use the corrector with this. It’s smooth to apply but has a slight thicker feel when it sets.
7. YSL Touche Eclat in 02
– my night time concealer/highlighter and also my saving grace. I keep this in my bag all the time because it’s such a great touch-me-up, make-me-over tool.
8. Benefit Bad Gal Liner
– possibly my most dependable pencil liner. This one takes the cake for easiest and quickest application. I love how this can doll up my eyes in seconds!
9. Stila Stay All Day Volumizing Mascara
– a friend once messaged me where I got my lashes from and it puzzled me as I don’t wear falsies. I realised it was this new mascara I’m using. I like the effects but I wish they have a better brush for it.
10. MAC Brow Set in Show Off
– because my black brows looked strange after having my hair coloured, I had to buy something for the brows. It’s my first ever brow colour thingy and it does the job indeed.
11. Urban Decay Naked 2 – I bought copious amounts of eye shadow pots and sets over the years but I never got around to really using them. This is the first eye shadow palette I got super excited about and I knew I was going to use on a more regular basis.
I love the colours. Admittedly, the palette is a much cooler part of the spectrum than the first Naked palette but it’s still absolutely versatile and wearable all year out.
I have no shame in saying this took a few hundred YouTube tutorials to make. Haha!
But I love how natural this looks.
15. MAC Lip Stuff – I’m not quite keen on MAC stuff but I really like their lip gunk. I have a few more sticks lying around, but these are the ones I use during the work week. I’ll post all of them one of these days.
The Usual Suspects: Cherish (Satin), Mocha (Satin), Pink Nouveau (Satin), Good to Go (Pro Longwear Lip Creme), Russian Red x 2 (Matte), Ruby Woo (Matte), Lip Pencils in Brick, Hover and Magenta.
16. Clinique Powder Blush in Smouldering Plum –
the night blush. It’s very pigmented so you only really need a few strokes of this. I love this for contouring purposes. The smouldering effect is really apparent.
17. Nars Blush in Orgasm
– this universal blusher is the first makeup product I’ve ever hunted and is possibly my ultimate favourite thing in my makeup kit. Nothing makes me feel all girly than a few brushes of this on my cheeks. It looks awesome on all skin tones too.
18. Benefit Cheek Powder Coralista
– I ran out of Orgasm once (HAHAHA! no pun intended) and had an event to attend so I ended up buying this. It’s not as shimmery but the colour is sweet and lighter. The effect still makes you feel like a day in the tropics.
There you have it, my favourite make-up basics. What’s in your makeup kit? =)