HER: You’re from the Philippines?
ME: Yes, indeed! I am!
HER: From Minillee?
ME: Er, it’s Manila. Ma-ni-la. The capital.
HER: Oh exotic! What’s it like to live in Africa?
Unfortunately, this person had an MA in journalism. Not geography.
The Philippines is in South East Asia. It’s an archipelago that looks like a fossilised dinosaur.
But there are a lot of Filipinos who’ve made world-class marks in their respective industries, they probably just didn’t know. Manny Pacquiao. Lea Salonga. Monique Lhuillier. Enrique Iglesias. Josie Natori. Rafe Totengco. Bruno Mars. Nicole Shercheeseburger, that Pussycat Doll. Apl.De.Ap, that Black Eyed Pea. Rob Schneider. Rufio from Hook. Yep they’re of Filipino descent.
It’s a very beautiful country with a colourful history. Rich in tradition cultivated from a hotpot of cultures, it’s a fun place to visit. Look:
Here are 6 Instagram accounts you should follow to discover more about the Philippines.
1. @discovermanila – I’m obsessed with this feed. Peppered with images of awesome architecture and sights (old and new) in the capital, I’ve not seen Manila as beautiful.
2. @manilaeatup – A nice project featuring delicious treats from the Manila food scene, including those who’ve turned their passion for food into businesses.
3. @visitpilipinas – Scenic shots of the Philippines snapped by amazing Pinoy travel bloggers.
4. @previewthestylebible – The official account of Preview, a magazine that fashionistas and lifestyle gurus deem super worthy. See how beautiful and creative Filipinos are.
5. @gomanila – I love this feed particularly because it features mostly Filipino food products against a backdrop of cultural interest. Very interesting!
6. @wheninmanila – photos from a community of storytellers sharing what’s hip and happening in Manila and beyond. The blog’s also worth a visit.
Next time you think of travelling somewhere, do consider The Philippines. It’s a lot of fun out there 😉